It's crunch time...and that has multiple meanings. There is a lot going on personally and professionally that is going to require my attention. Work gets busy again this month. I have a couple projects that need some serious focus. It's also crunch time in that I need to get back into shape. The highs and lows of life (more highs than lows these days) in the past 6 months have me feeling a bit...gluttonous. All this living high on the hog and happier than a pig in slop has me toting around a couple more pounds than I'd like. After a superb birthday week spent with amazing people both old and new (more on this later!)- and more than my fair share of pork belly and foie gras - I'm making a conscious decision to lighten up a bit.
I got inspired by this orange cauliflower at the market as a way to have a crunchy salad without the usual greens. You can easily substitute red onions for the green onion and throw in any fresh produce you have around the house. While this salad is great on its own, it is also a great base to add meats or cheese to make it a heartier meal. After this photo was taken, I threw in some chopped salami and crumbled blue cheese.
Crunchy Cauliflower Salad - serves 6 to 8 as a side dish
- 1 head cauliflower - broken into florets
- 2 cans garbanzo beans - rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes - halved or quartered depending on their size
- 3 green onions - green and white parts cut down to the root
- 2 tbsp. chopped basil
- 2 tbsp. chopped flat leaf parsley
- zest and juice of 1 medium lemon
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp. red wine or white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. dijon mustard
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste