I've almost gotten through enough of the holidays that I can get back to blogging at a serious clip. This year's merriment put a hurt on me. I can still fit in my jeans and my corduroy pants, so at least there's that. One more meal - a blowout New Years Eve meal - will be my last hurrah and then it's back on the straight and narrow. In the meantime, a few points of interest.
- Has anyone seen the latest issue of Gourmet Magazine? All I can say is...wow. What a thoughtful and interesting issue...and I'm not saying that because it has some of my peeps in it. This issue is all about The South. It's chock-full of wonderful narratives and history about the wide reaching influence of Southern cuisine. It also does a great job of showing that Southern cooking goes beyond fatback and sweet tea. It's also nice to see some local folks getting some much deserved press: Linton Hopkins of Restaurant Eugene and Scott Peacock of Watershed (in a touching article about his relationship with Edna Lewis).
- I haven't been blogging much but that doesn't mean I haven't been reading blogs. I have a couple new favorites:
- DirtySouthWine - I love this blog. Hardy is from here in Atlanta. His blog is full of humor and great wine & food tips. His wine choices are unusual and not your chain store wine picks. It's fun and a good read.
- CurdNerds - I came across this site when I was researching what to pair with Reblochon. It's a really cool, informative site.
- Smitten Kitchen - Yes. I am the last food blogger in the free world to find this blog. It's so good. Just go.
- One last thing: The deadline for the RWT Chili Cook-off has been extended to Sunday January 7th, 2008! I have gotten several entries...but this will give folks that were just too busy with the holidays a chance to get in on the challenge if they so choose. Check out all of the official details here.